Friday, July 29, 2011

Games. Try to make one.

They say that sometimes it is hard to make a game. It takes a lot of time and effort just to make one. The game programmer must consider all the possibilities from gameplay up to the cheats on how to kill the AI (artificial intelligence) in 3 seconds or so. Now why did I brought this subject up? For the past 2 weeks my programming professor ask our class to make a Console Pokemon Game by using the console application of C#. I have to admit it even though it was just a simple console game it gave me a hard time just to debug the codes especially the loops for the battle. Right now I know you're thinking that I am a rookie. Well you're right. Let me share my fun experience and lessons learned in making a simple game for the past two weeks.


1. Concept Making. It is the simplest but yet the most delicate part of the project. The gameplay and designs will always depend on how you and your team will agree on what will be the main concept of your game. Sometimes the concepts will change it depends if the changes will be good for the improvement of the game but it is ok as long as you already know on how will you start the said project.

2. Writing the CODES. If you are already familiar on the programming language that you will be using I think this will be the easiest part of journey in making a game. If you fully understand the concept then it will be easier for you to write down all the necessary codes needed. During this phase I felt that I was already playing the game inside of my head. I got the feeling of excitement that I want to finish the program  as soon as possible.

3. DEBUGGING. The hardest part. That's all I can say. Well let's say that there are no errors on your codes. So normally you are now excited and relief that your job is done. Then once you play the game you will realize that game is not responding or not meeting the expectations that you expect on the concept making. Like if the health of AI is not going down after you make a hit or sometimes the AI will give you a one hit K.O or the other way around that your character is in GOD MODE. Of course you will think that "What is wrong?". I tell you, this part gave the sleepless nights that I don't want to encounter again for the rest of the year.

4. Playing your own GAME. The part that will put a smile on your face. It feels that all those nights in exchange for the game are worth it and will make you proud that you will say "I was a part of the team who made this game and I am proud."

The main lesson that I learned in this is "TEAMWORK". Having a group or team member that will assist you makes you feel that the pressure of making a game has lessen because you know that there are people that are willing to help in order to have a job well done. Also having a team member makes the completion of the job faster.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers

 
Powered by Blogger